Musings of a Communications Agency MD
But now, I’m twitchy, ground-hog day syndrome has set in. I want to get on a train to London, people watch, sneak into Selfridges after a high-powered meeting. I’m worrying about bringing the team back together again in one place and how it will pan out. Will some be reluctant to come and how will that affect team-bonding and learning? And I want to plan, plan, plan, but for what exactly? Post-Covid is an unknown. My MD peers at the Agency Collective have been a great place to test my thinking.
It’s all a case of scenarios….
- Return to the office - how, when, who? And why?
Balancing more WFH with the need for face to face interaction in one place
- Yay! we can rent out half the office space as we won’t need it
Oh, but we can’t rent out office space as everyone needs more distancing space
- What if there’s a second spike and lock-down2 just when we’re getting super-busy in Q4?
Well, we on-boarded a new recruit during lock-down so we can do it again and WFH has been pretty seamless for us.
- How deep will the recession be?
Million-dollar question (excuse the pun)
- We haven’t furloughed, but what if our pipeline slows up once the furlough scheme is over due to afore-mentioned project-lag? There’s a longer-term risk for some businesses that weren’t hit hard immediately.
Or will it be the opposite? Our clients will gear up quickly to deliver all the projects that have been on hold to achieve year-end targets in a really tight timescale. I much prefer this scenario!
- How can I refuse everyone taking holiday at the same time once flights start?
I need a holiday; can I go first?
A lot of questions, a lot of scenarios – and yet I feel incredibly positive. I have an awesome team. The one thing this disruption has confirmed as predictable is that the more uncertain we are the more we need communication.
PS. If you’ve read this to the end, then thank you, I hope you don’t think any worse of me for my ramblings. I’m off for a jog now – maybe I’ll answer some of my own questions on the way.
PPS. anyone else hate the default Teams ringtone? It’s become an earworm/lock-down side effect.
IC, are you getting the full picture? How to Power It Up
Last week I attended and spoke at the virtual Internal Communications Conference. This got me reflecting on whether the role of internal communications…
Say Hello To Our Brand-New Website
Yay we did it! Our shiny new site is now live! With clients being at the forefront of our business, and rightly so, it is easy to be too occupied to inject…